Cookies Policy – Protecting your privacy
What are Cookies?
Cookies are small text files that we store on your computer whilst you are visiting our website. There are 4 basic types of cookie:
- Session cookies – allow websites to link your actions during a specific session – these cookies expire when the session is ended.
- Persistent cookies – these are stored on your device between sessions and they allow your choices and browsing history across the site or across multiple sites to be recorded. These cookies can be used to target advertising. They will remain on your device unless you either delete them or they time expire
- First party cookies – these are cookies set by our website.
- Third party cookies – these are cookies set by a domain different from our site whilst you are using our site.
Since 2011 there has been a requirement for us to obtain subscribers’ or users’ consent to the use of certain types of cookie. There are 4 categories of cookie that can be used:
- “Strictly necessary” cookies – these are normally first party session cookies that are essential for you to be able to use all the features of our website. These cookies enable the services that you have requested and as such consent is not required for these. However the law narrowly defines “strictly necessary” and restricts them to those cookies that store a unique identifier that manages and identifies you in respect of other current users of the site so that a consistent and accurate service can be provided. These cookies will not be used for marketing purposes or for remembering your preferences and ID outside of the current session.
- “Performance” cookies – these are cookies that may be either first or third party, session or persistent and are used to collect information about how you use the site but they do not collect any personal information that could identify you. The information is made anonymous by aggregating it together so that we can improve the performance of the site. Examples may include web analytics, advertising response rates, affiliate tracking, and error management but they should not be used to retarget adverts – if they do then they will need to be classified under category 4 as well. We need your consent for the use of these cookies during your session.
- “Functionality cookies” – these are cookies that may be either first or third party, session or persistent and will generally be the result of your actions where they will remember the choices that you have made. They may also be used to deliver a service that you have not explicitly requested but is being offered to you. They can also be used to prevent you being offered a service that you have previously rejected. These cookies should not be used to retarget adverts – if they do then they will need to be classified under category 4 as well. We need your consent for the use of these cookies during your session.
- “Targeting or advertising” cookies: these are cookies that are normally 3rd party persistent (but time limited) cookies that are used to deliver adverts that are more relevant to you by collecting information about your browsing habits. Where these are being used as part of an advertising network that collects browsing habits in order to target relevant adverts to you we will advise you of such. We need your consent for the use of these cookies during your session.